[squeak-dev] Re: Swazoo - LGPL or MIT?

Janko Mivšek janko.mivsek at eranova.si
Fri Mar 21 16:55:02 UTC 2008

Bruce Badger wrote:
> On 21/03/2008, Janko Mivšek <janko.mivsek at eranova.si> wrote:
>> Well, Swazoo license is still not seriously defined IMO
>
> Huh?  The issue has come up a number of times on cls (first in 2000)
> and the conclusion that Swazoo is under the LGPL was questioned but
> never challenged.  The SourceForge project makes it clear that Swazoo
> is under the LGPL.

Well from that thread in 2006 it was obviously not very strongly defined:

"Bruce, as far as I know there is no explicit license for Swazoo but it
has the same as other Camp Smalltalk projects like SUnit. Therefore it
is definitively not GPL. On the other side I don't know if we ever
define a "Camp Smalltalk" license... "

http://groups.google.com/group/comp.lang.smalltalk/browse_thread/thread/665597fea7a67332/c769fb53823e1e94?lnk=st&q=#c769fb53823e1e94

> This is the first time I have heard anyone explicitly claim otherwise.

See c.l.s thread above.

>  On previous ocations, Janko, you have said effectively "Oh, is it?  I
> didn't know".  This is the first time I have seen you or anyone
> seriously assert that Swazoo is not 100% LGPL.
>
> You can't change the license by just announcing that you have.
>
> If you manage to persuade the people who contributed to Swazoo to
> switch the license, then fair enough.  Until then, Swazoo is 100%
> under the LGPL, no ifs no buts no doubt.
>
> For now the pertinent question is:  Who will fix the erroneous listing
> that shows Swazoo is under MIT in Squeak?  People would be quite
> rightly upset if they have picked up something on the basis it is
> available under one licence when it fact it is under another.

Janko Mivšek
AIDA/Web
Smalltalk Web Application Server
http://www.aidaweb.si