[squeak-dev] Re: Swazoo - LGPL or MIT?

Bruce Badger bwbadger at gmail.com
Fri Mar 21 16:58:50 UTC 2008

On 21/03/2008, Paolo Bonzini <bonzini at gnu.org> wrote:
>  If your changes are subclasses of something is clearly part of the
>  interface (you cannot use Swazoo without providing those subclasses, and
>  those subclasses are not important to other users of Swazoo), adding
>  your subclasses is not going to LGPL.

BTW, the later versions of the Swazoo http server I published to the
Cincom public Store repository did not have the requirement to
subclass Swazoo HTTP server classes.  The HTTP server and resource
management parts of Swazoo were distinct and the HTTP server was
started by giving it a block.  The block took a single argument (an
HTTP request) and was expected to return an HTTP response.  I never
used the resource management parts of Swazoo, but I did make sure that
all the tests passed for that part as I worked on the HTTP server.

I don't know if the older branch of Swazoo (which was announced as
Swazoo 1.0) included this work (I think it did not), nor if the work
has since been back-ported from Hyper, but it is there if you want to
pull it in from Store.  Alternatively you can just use Hyper which is
also under the LGPL but included the separation using blocks, though
it has moved on quite a bit since then (e.g. you can have the block
sent a stream instead of a pre-parsed request).

http://www.openskills.org/