[squeak-dev] Re: The "correct" approach to multi-core systems.

Jason Johnson jason.johnson.081 at gmail.com
Sat Mar 22 20:24:04 UTC 2008

On Sun, Mar 2, 2008 at 10:42 PM, Igor Stasenko <siguctua at gmail.com> wrote:

>  >  Wouldn't this apply to threads too?

Absolutely.

>  It is, but developers should be free in choice whether use locking
>  semantics or use vats/islands/E.
>  Simply because there is no single, ultimately best solution for all
>  kinds of parallel computing.

There is no "best" solution for memory management either.  I'm sure it
would be trivial to make some kind of memory management scheme that
would work better for most applications running on GC's now, but the
productivity gain we get from GC's makes it worth it, and we can use
that extra time to find better GC algorithms.

Threading is no different; you can certainly find cases where
Vats/Messaging/whatever isn't the very best possible solution, but in
the vast majority of the cases it will be good enough and it saves the
developer huge time.