[squeak-dev] re: squeak-dev translations

Craig Latta craig at netjam.org
Sat Mar 22 22:57:59 UTC 2008

Hi--

      Herbert writes:

 > I think different in English than I think in German and my English
 > thoughts wouldn't translate to German. So in most of the cases I don't
 > do translation when writing in English.

      Indeed, but I'd like to know how you "really think", so seeing the
German would be very useful to me. (Ideally I'd be able to see both;
being able to compare them would be enlightening too.)

      Subbu writes:

 > A day may come when mail agents translate on the fly between different
 > languages. Imagine waving a magic lens over a piece of text and see it
 > translated (slang and all) into the reader's native language! Until
 > then, we have to make do with plain ASCII.

      Well, I happen to have access to sufficiently good translation
tools and nearby friends who speak multiple languages. I don't mind
going to the effort. Given a message that had both original and English
versions, I expect I'd use the original version mostly to clarify the
parts of the English version that don't make sense.

-C

--
Craig Latta
improvisational musical informaticist