[squeak-dev] re: recording license information (was "Request for the foundation")

Craig Latta craig at netjam.org
Sun Mar 23 18:24:28 UTC 2008

Hi--

      Karl writes:

 > I suggested a while ago that we could make license information a part
 > of the object system. I'm not sure how to implement that though ;-)

      Matthew responds:

 > Allow arbitrary properties to be attached to CompiledMethods. Spoon
 > may already do this.

      Spoon addresses method, class, and module licensing information
explicitly in the forthcoming 2a13 release (with methods licensable at
the source-code level with character granularity and at the instruction
level with instruction granularity). The licenses themselves are also
objects with behavior (so that one can specify the effects of mixing
licenses, etc.). This stuff is all part of Spoon's history system (an
object-based replacement for the sources and changes files).

      Please feel free to discuss this stuff with me in real time on the
#spoon IRC channel at irc.freenode.net.

      thanks,

-C

--