[squeak-dev] Swazoo, a history of contributions

Bruce Badger bwbadger at gmail.com
Tue Mar 25 00:23:54 UTC 2008

On 24/03/2008, Janko Mivšek <janko.mivsek at eranova.si> wrote:
> Dear all,
>
>  Due to the all this long licensing saga I think you'll be interested on
>  a brief history of Swazoo and contributions. This can put a bit more
>  light on situation, IMO.
>
>  1. Swazoo was born on first Camp Smalltalk in 2000 in San Diego, see
>  http://www.swazoo.org/history.html for a feeling of those events and
>  what was our goal. See specially a "manifesto". There you'll also see
>  names of original authors.
>
>  2. It was a merge of Ken Treis's Hydrogen web server and Aida/Web's web
>  server, with additional Resource framework influenced a lot with ideas
>  from Apache, and a support for virtual websites. That's actually what is
>  Swazoo nowadays still.

Project announced on SourceForge under the LGPL license on 31st March 2000.

>  3. 2000: First port to Dolphin was done by Steve Waring.
>
>  4. In April 2002 it was first published on Cincom Public Repository
>  (Public Store), from when an exact history of contributions and
>  contributors can be tracked.
>
>  5. Also an original Swazoo from Camp Smalltalk was published in Public
>  Store (cs0.9, published 21.mar02)
>
>  6. mar02 SSL support for Swazoo released
>
>  7. sep03 Bruce Badger starts developing using Swazoo making his own fork
>  for his OpenSkills project (0.9.76-bb01).

Not a fork at all.  I discussed every change *before* I made it and
all the code was made available under the LGPL just like the rest of
Swazoo.  One would have expected this work to be merged in by the
"project leader", but this never happened.

>  8. mar05 first code from Bruce in main branch: HTTPPostDataArray (0.9.96)
>
>  9. nov05 Swazoo 1.0 released

Which left behind all the work done by OpenSkills which was a tad
embarasing as we had been telling people we were using Swazoo.  Now
people were using the older code in Swazoo "1.0" and asking why it
didn't work.  We decided to clarify things by simply naming the branch
of work that contained our changes Hyper -  in this was we could
distinguish between our newer work and the older code in "1.0".

>  10. feb06 a dev branch opened to merge with Bruce branch and on top of
>  Sport portability layer
>
>  11. may06 Bruce forked Swazoo into Hyper

(see above)

http://www.openskills.org/