[squeak-dev] On the swazoo list

Jimmie Houchin j.squeak at cyberhaus.us
Tue Mar 25 03:09:06 UTC 2008

Bruce Badger wrote:
> On 25/03/2008, Janko Mivšek <janko.mivsek at eranova.si> wrote:
>> Bruce Badger wrote:
>
>> I'm coming with a contact to original authors who will decide of the
>>  license of Swazoo, not you.
>
> I decide upon the licensing of my copyright material, Janko.

He never said otherwise.

Yes, your insistence on your code remaining LGPL does affect the current
codebase. But that does not limit the rights of all the other
contributors should they choose to relicense their code under MIT. Yes,
the current distribution of Swazoo 2.x will remain LGPL. But you don't
have the right to hold hostage future versions simply because you prefer
the LGPL and not MIT.

>>  I'll propose them that in Swazoo 3.0 your code is removed and therefore
>>  a problem forever solved.
>
> You may remove my code if you wish of course, but while you are using
> it you are doing so under the LGPL.  And the same applies to the rest
> of Swazoo until you get the copyright holders to agree.

He never said otherwise after you disputed the right of it being
changed. And above he says he is going to contact the authors. So he
will have permission from the authors who grant such, and authors who do
not, apparently he will remove the code. Then the codebase will then be
clean of LGPL code.

> What a mess you have made, Janko.  Why didn't you just leave Swazoo
> under the LGPL?

Because he is trying to appeal to a broader audience than appeals to
LGPL within the Squeak community. A reasonable thing to do. This isn't
just Swazoo. He to my understanding relicensing his own project AIDA/Web
from LGPL to MIT for the same reasons. (Forgive me Janko if I misspeak)
He isn't anti-LGPL, though many of us here aren't favorable to it in the
context of Squeak.

Personally, since AIDA/Web uses Swazoo, if this didn't get cleaned up, I
was going to not use AIDA/Web for projects. So this does have practical
impacts on the use of software within Squeak.

In my view it isn't he that is making the mess, but you. He is trying to
work with the broader Squeak community, and you are not.

Yes, he may have made a mistake in making errant statements about
changing it MIT without permissions. But with regards to the future
directions, he is not making a mess, but rather cleaning one up.

My opinion, but I don't think I'm alone.

Jimmie