[squeak-dev] MC bugs in 3.10

Michael van der Gulik mikevdg at gmail.com
Tue Mar 25 20:23:34 UTC 2008

On Wed, Mar 26, 2008 at 9:20 AM, Michael van der Gulik <mikevdg at gmail.com>
wrote:

> <http://www.squeaksource.com/mc.html>
> >
> > On Fri, Mar 21, 2008 at 10:01 PM, Michael van der Gulik
> > <mikevdg at gmail.com> wrote:
> > > Hi all.
> > >
> > >  I'm trying to release a package that will load into 3.10. However, it
> > won't work because:
> > >
> > >  - I've changed instance variables PluggableTreeSpec in the
> > ToolBuilder-Kernel package available from the Universes browser. The MC that
> > is packaged with 3.10 does not properly recompile the code, so bytecodes
> > in methods are now referring to the wrong instance variables.
> > >
> > >  - So I try adding a postscript to the package to recompile that
> > class. In the Monticello UI, I click on Scripts -> edit postscript, and I
> > get a DNU.
> > >
> > >  Are these known bugs?
> >

> > On Wed, Mar 26, 2008 at 1:11 AM, Damien Cassou <damien.cassou at gmail.com>
> > wrote:
> > You may want to try with MC1.5 http://www.squeaksource.com/mc.html
> >

> I did try MC 1.5 - there's still an issue with not recompiling the code
> properly.
>
> For now, I've given up. I have a working image, and I want to get my own
> projects moving forward rather than fix other people's bugs.

Oh... and if you want to test this with various versions of Monticello:

- Load ToolBuilder-Kernel from the Universes browser.
- Open up the browser on PluggableTreeSpec.
- Browse the bytecodes of the accessor methods of the last 3 or so defined
instance variables to see if all the methods refer to the right instance
variables.

The problem is that ToolBuilder-Kernel is already installed in 3.10, and the
version loaded from the Package Universe removes and adds some instance
variables from some of the classes.

Gulik.

--
http://people.squeakfoundation.org/person/mikevdg