[squeak-dev] Re: Swazoo - LGPL or MIT?

Bruce Badger bwbadger at gmail.com
Wed Mar 26 22:32:46 UTC 2008

On 26/03/2008, Andreas Raab <andreas.raab at gmx.de> wrote:
> Bruce Badger wrote:
>  > This only leaves one thing:
>  >
>  > Janko, could you please confirm that you now accept that Swazoo is
>  > under the LGPL and has been since the inception of the project?
>
> Let it go. You got what you wanted (the license changed in all the
>  places you desired). Let this be enough. There is no need for a public
>  humiliation here.

What I sought was a correction to what appeared to be an error in the
documentation on Squeak map,  In trying to correct this apparently
simple matter we ended up in a rather long discussion during which
Janko claimed  many things that leave me uncertain about his views
about the Swazoo license and what he may do in the future.

This is because in 2006 we had a similar, though rather shorter,
discussion on exactly this topic on cls during which I thought we had
everything sorted out.  After all, there was a public record of the
thread.

What I just experienced on this list was that, because there was no
clear and explicit acknowledgement of the LGPL license, the situation
was in doubt because of lack of evidence.

I don't want to be in that situation again in another couple of years.

I am not seeking an apology nor do I wish to humiliate anyone.  I
merely ask that Janko confirm that he now accepts that Swazoo is
indeed under the LGPL and has been since the inception of the project.
 If he genuinely now accepts that, why is this so much to ask?

If Janko refuses to make such a public statement I must reluctantly,
given previous experience, assume that Janko has in fact not accepted
that Swazoo is under the LGPL.

http://www.openskills.org/