[squeak-dev] Re: SkipList

nicolas cellier ncellier at ifrance.com
Thu Mar 27 22:12:58 UTC 2008

Ken Causey a écrit :
> That's a bit extreme.  Just because I was not sufficiently interested in
> replying to your reply does not mean I might not want to use it some
> day.

At least I fot a reaction :)

> The initial reason that SkipList>>at:put: does not replace the existing
> definition is that it is implemented by calling
> SkipList>>at:put:ifPresent: with an empty block.  So when an existing
> value is found it is silently ignored.
>
> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Skip_list
>
> I don't have time right now to investigate but I suspect that since this
> was pretty clearly intentionally implemented this way that there is a
> good reason for it.  The point is that it's not clear to me that what
> you are reporting is a bug.

I do not call it a bug, because I saw the feature in the SUnit.
But I would precisely like to know the reasons behind.
Because I find the feature annoying.
It does not behave like other collections, and this is surprising for
some class aiming to reach the holly Kernel collections.

> Ken
>
> P.S.  I should clarify that I'm not opposed to things being removed.
> But they should not simply be deleted.  Removing to an external package
> is an option but one that might be best deferred until there is someone
> interested in actually maintaining such a package.

Of course, put on squeaksource and refer with SqueakMap with appropriate
license from the authors.