[squeak-dev] Re: Squeak 3.9 alpha image wanted

nice ncellier at ifrance.com
Thu May 1 17:51:55 UTC 2008

nice wrote:
> Even a simple
>
>     MessageTally spyOn: [Transcript cr; show:'hello'].
>
> exhibits a factor 2x slowdown between 3.8 and 3.10
>
> Nicolas

And the main difference lies in the drawing of the container, not the
contents as you can test it:

Smalltalk garbageCollect.
theTranscriptWindow := SystemWindow allInstances detect: [:e | e label =
'Transcript']. "(I know, bad code, but cannot remember correct API)"

Time millisecondsToRun: [theTranscriptWindow drawDropShadowOn: World
canvas].
	=> 4 36
Time millisecondsToRun: [World canvas drawMorph: theTranscriptWindow ].
	=> 4 21
Time millisecondsToRun: [theTranscriptWindow drawSubmorphsOn: World canvas].
	=> 18 11

Scores are given in 3.8 and 3.9/3.10 (where they are dependent on
theTranscriptWindow bounds extent).
Notice the transparency and background gradient in 3.9/3.10...

Don't know how this connects to number of opened Browsers seriously
impacting speed, but maybe that's a clue...

Nicolas