[squeak-dev] How can I count redraws of SystemWindows?

David T. Lewis lewis at mail.msen.com
Sun May 4 17:00:15 UTC 2008

> Now I would love to see really integrate a stdout so that we could get
> Squeak headless
> and using it as a "scripting" language. Right now on each platform we
> have to use a plugin
> which is not working the same or not available on the platform.
> Is there any chance that we would get
>
> Output nextPut: 'zork'

That is certainly easy to do, it would be just a matter of agreeing
to make a #primitiveGetStdout available on all platforms. But to be
honest, I'm not sure that this is suitable for a "base Squeak," and
Squeak is probably never going to be a good choice as a scripting
language IMHO.

In any case, if you feel like playing around with the idea, I put
something into the CommandShell package that lets you use Squeak
like an interactive shell, sort of a /bin/sh equivalent except
that it also does Smalltalk. Evaluate "ExternalCommandShell start",
save your image, start it up headless from the Unix command line,
and viola a crude interactive shell. If you are really adventurous,
you can use it as your Unix login shell ;)  Note that I do *not*
suggest this as a scripting language, but it's fun to play around
with it.

Dave