Squeak logo refreshing (was: [squeak-dev] Reminder hackontest.ch)

Bert Freudenberg bert at freudenbergs.de
Wed May 7 10:42:33 UTC 2008

On 07.05.2008, at 12:14, cdrick wrote:

> I'm sorry to open this thread again...  but seeing the page of
> hackontest (http://www.hackontest.ch/)...and all other open source
> logo.. I find squeak a bit outdated and this contrasts even more
> when in the first sentence, you can read " Squeak is a modern, open
> source full-featured implementation of the powerful Smalltalk
> programming ..."
>
> squeak logo
> http://www.hackontest.ch/resource/.thumblogo/SqueakLogo.png

Well, that's a poor rendition. It's the T-Shirt version reduced to
icon size, which of course looks poor, in particular in black on a
dark gray background as on the page you mentioned. WHen scaled down
properly from the original vector art, you would increase stroke width
which makes it look a lot better at small sizes. See below.

> I'm not against the mouse icon at all... but refreshing it with a 3D
> look maybe could be nice, and will also fit squeak evolution with
> croquet for instance...
>
> there could some similarities with the gimp icon... but with a mouse
> instead ;)
> http://www.hackontest.ch/resource/.thumblogo/wilber_1.png
>
> Are there any 3D artist there ?
> Could the board manage this move ?
>
> Thanks

There are 3d-ish renditions of the logo:

http://wiki.squeak.org/squeak/uploads/2170/SqueakMacGold-bf.1.png
http://wiki.squeak.org/squeak/uploads/2170/Squeaky160-bf.png
http://hw001.gate01.com/~thoru/squeak/img/slogo0.gif