[squeak-dev] Re: [ANN] A new anniversary without 3.10

Ken Causey ken at kencausey.com
Wed May 7 20:53:27 UTC 2008

I wonder if we aren't having a little terminology trouble here.  On the
one hand the term 'release manager' in most communities indicates a job
held across multiple releases, perhaps for years.  However the closest
we have come to that in Squeak in recent years is someone who takes
responsibility for a given release, or maybe for two in a row.

The closest available candidates for 3.10 are Ralph Johnson and Edgar
himself.

However perhaps Andreas was meaning to spur a discussion of having a
more permanent release manager.  I'm going to assume that was the case
and offer my opinion.

I'm all for someone volunteering to be a long term release manager.
However the pool of available reasonable applicants seems rather small.
I would like to suggest a compromise measure.  Let's continue as we have
been with a new release team for each release (possibly built from
previous release teams) with a release team leader specific to each
release.

However I would like to suggest that the Board pick one of its members
to serve in a supervisory capacity over the entire release process.  I
don't see this as a job with much work most of the time.  It would
largely be composed of watching the progress of current release(s),
offering assistance where needed, and prodding the various involved
parties when necessary.

Now the Board technically only serves for a single year at a time and so
this 'release supervisor' could change from year to year.  But it's not
commonly the case that the Board membership changes completely each
year, so in practice it is possible for such a person to serve in this
capacity for multiple years and versions.

Ken