[squeak-dev] Re: [ANN] A new anniversary without 3.10

Ken Causey ken at kencausey.com
Wed May 7 21:44:31 UTC 2008

On Wed, 2008-05-07 at 14:30 -0700, Randal L. Schwartz wrote:

> Ken> However I would like to suggest that the Board pick one of its members
> Ken> to serve in a supervisory capacity over the entire release process.  I
> Ken> don't see this as a job with much work most of the time.  It would
> Ken> largely be composed of watching the progress of current release(s),
> Ken> offering assistance where needed, and prodding the various involved
> Ken> parties when necessary.
>
> Well, at the moment, that'd be me, because I opened my mouth. :)

Good, wonderful.

> Hence, the questions.
>
> What needs to be done?

I'm using 3.8 as my example of a good release.  For 3.10 we need to

1.  Populate any incomplete platform support directories.

2.  Delete temporary files (note the wget-log files).

3.  Fix the 3.10 release zip:

currently while the zip file itself is properly named
Squeak3.10-7159-basic.zip the contents of the file are named

Squeak3dot10.7159.changes
Squeak3dot10.7159.image

The zip should be recreated with consistent naming.

4.  Update the Squeak.org website to reflect 3.10 as the current stable
release.

5.  I feel I'm forgetting something but I can't think of anything else
at the moment.

> Who can do it?

Who 'can' or who 'should'?  I guess at this point really it's a matter
of 'can'.  Can for most of the steps includes just about any recent
release team member (including most of 3.7, 3.8, 3.9, 3.10) and all
box-admins team members including myself.

In the interest of expediency I'm willing to do as much as possible
myself if Edgar wouldn't be insulted by my further interference.  I can
take care of steps 1 (with assistance from VM developers), 2, 3, and
maybe even 4 although I will probably need to coordinate with Janko or
other webteam members.  And I guess I could even take care of 5 if I
remember what it is. ;)

> What needs to be cleared up?

Uhm, isn't this the same as the first question?

Ken