[squeak-dev] hydra mac vm update

John M McIntosh johnmci at smalltalkconsulting.com
Wed May 7 22:30:23 UTC 2008

Ok, a bit more progress. There is still quite a few things to puzzle
out.

I don't want to pound the VM with a ticker update every millisecond.
I don't have a nice way to schedule a wakeup event sometime in the
future by using some generic pthread service.

I therefore re-implemented the logic that clock checks every message
send and backward jump to
check the current time and consider the next wakeup time. Likely we'll
have to tune this, or perhaps 0.5% of
run time devoted to looking at the clock is just good enough
programming.

Given all that I'm still dealing with having the second instance of
the interpreter unlock the global vm logic so plugins can load in a
clean manner.
I did stick in a change where it does halt the 2nd instance when there
is no squeak process runnable and no pending Delay but that isn't a
correct solution.

However I now am at the point where I can do

HydraVM loadAndRunNewImage: 'test.image'

HydraVM doIt: 'Transcript show: 10000 factorial' at: 2

Which then prints a really big number, later.
I can of course interact with the main interpreter instance, and also
do the 10000 factorial,
which then makes my machine run at 200% cpu and whirl the fans to high.

Going forward I need some folks who can compile the VM and do some
testing.

Also I still have to do a sanity check and review all the global &
static variable usage in the mac specific code, and the drawing isn't
correct,
menu's get drawn with full transparency.

--
=
=