[squeak-dev] [ANN] A new anniversary without 3.10

Edgar J. De Cleene edgardec2001 at yahoo.com.ar
Thu May 8 10:45:11 UTC 2008

El 5/7/08 5:34 PM, "Peter Crowther" <Peter at ozzard.org> escribió:

> A supportive community pulling in the direction of a release.  Instead,
> there is a fragmented community who want many different things, arguably
> few of which are suitable for the coherent, image-based exquisite
> personal computing platform which tempted so many of us into Smalltalk
> in the first place.  This makes the release manager's job so hard that
> it is a job nobody wants to take - it's a poisoned chalice.  Whoever
> produces the next release of Squeak will get more criticism than praise,
> because some people's favourite features will have been left out of the
> image while others' least favourite features will have come in.
>
> Anyone want the job?
>
> - Peter

Thanks for get my point.

The short answer is I WANT THE JOB

The long answer is How should be the next Squeak ?

Currently we have many different things in development and not finished DS,
MC2, SystemEditor what seems crucial to this.

Also , IMHO two different views or point of end for a "small image suited
for grow from" .

Spoon of Craig seems could be Squeak 4.0.

Kernel of Pavel seems the closest.

How we arrive to any from current 3.10 ?

Here is the difference, all people working now and doing the informal
meetings think different.

I repeat once more time I wish a short step , named 3.11 , cutting all we
know could be cut , packaged to some .mcz in a trusted repository and this
package could be loaded again into the 3.11 image as never was cut.

Edgar