[squeak-dev] Should Monticello 1.5 be removed from squeak-dev images?

bryce at kampjes.demon.co.uk bryce at kampjes.demon.co.uk
Thu May 8 20:42:47 UTC 2008

Germán Arduino writes:
 > 2008/5/7, Keith Hodges <keith_hodges at yahoo.co.uk>:
 > > MC1.5 can load FFI,
 > >
 > > Installer install: 'Packages'.
 > > Installer sake addPackage: 'FFI'; install.
 > >
 > > Keith
 >
 > I'm a bit confused (I admit don't time in the last months to be on all the
 > details) but, why now all must be installed with "Installer" ? SqueakMap
 > continue working? And what is the role of Universes?

The short answer is you can load FFI fine into 3.9 or 3.10. Just don't
use Monticello 1.5 if you want to use either SqueakMap or Universes
for package loading.

I'm staying with SqueakMap and Universes as my package management
tools and I use FFI. This means that I can't use images that have
Monticello 1.5 loaded. So, I'm going to stop building Exupery
development images on top of Damien's great squeak-dev images.

While it is probably possible to argue that what Monticello 1.5 does
is as correct as Monticello 1.0, Monticello 1.5 came later and is
incompatable with some existing Monticello packages. Breaking
backwards compatability in a core part of the system is a serious bug.

Bryce