[squeak-dev] Re: [ANN] A new anniversary without 3.10

Andreas Raab andreas.raab at gmx.de
Thu May 8 21:38:20 UTC 2008

Keith Hodges wrote:
>> Squeak is not welcoming anymore... first time I met Squeak it was on
>> 3.4 I think, and the overall first impression was great, lots of
>> things to discover and wonder at. these days there is a dull grey
>> background with a few windows opened on technical text, details of
>> last updates... it could not be more different.
>>
> Thats the whole point of derivative images such as Fun-Squeak or
> Squeak-dev image. Its horses for courses.
>
> Those of us who want to actually use squeak for something in particular
> find unloading packages harder than loading them.
> So I support the goal of trimming down the main image (though its still
> a bit fat)

Then how come that 3.10 basic is larger than 3.6 full? Where is the
"trimming" in that? Isn't it much more accurate to say that the fun bits
have been replaced with boring bits? A quick comparison between 3.6 and
3.10 shows that games, speech and 3d are gone, and traits, monticello
and universes have been added (there are probably more but those are
obvious major differences).

Cheers,
   - Andreas