[squeak-dev] Re: [ANN] A new anniversary without 3.10

tim Rowledge tim at rowledge.org
Thu May 8 23:17:33 UTC 2008

On 8-May-08, at 2:50 PM, Merik Voswinkel wrote:

> I personally think it is a great loss that the fun bits are gone. I
> can reload them but most users can and will not.
> But more importantly, the fun stuff are the things that will get
> Squeak and Croquet adopted by the large majority of users.

Well the fun stuff isn't *gone* it's just not included in the default
image referred to on the relevant webpage. We could 'solve' that issue
(and I agree that it is an issue of some concern) simply by altering
the download page to show-
the funsqueak image as the recommended download for newcomers
the developer image as one suggested for typical younger developers
the base image as one best for us old farts that don't like
autocompletion, flashing lights and the other assorted bling.
... and of course any other pre-built systems of interest, such as
seaside setups.

A subsidiary issue that those of you that are fun-enthusiasts must get
together to solve is keeping the fun stuff alive and working. If you
think it is important, you have to treat it as such and maintain it.
No one else has any obligation to do so.

tim
Managing programmers is like herding cats.