[squeak-dev] Re: talk on Newspeak online

Klaus D. Witzel klaus.witzel at cobss.com
Fri May 9 07:23:44 UTC 2008

On Thu, 08 May 2008 21:58:42 +0200, Igor Stasenko wrote:

> 2008/5/8 Klaus D. Witzel wrote:
>> On Thu, 08 May 2008 14:06:09 +0200, Igor Stasenko wrote:
[...]
>>> Is it just only because *crap* is rude word or because it not
>>> precisely characterizing problems? ;)
>>
>> Both, of course; you know me by now ;) The third is [OT] your new role
>> (being on the board ;)
>>

> I trying to be constructive here. I not throwing a words that
> *something* is stinks just because i don't like the *thing*,
> i providing arguments and explanations why i think its err.. crappy :)
> Oh, and i didn't used this word before Vassili started.

Right, and from his other post it seems like he's using the word like any
other slot name ;)

NP, back to the issues :)

> Well, if
> people want to defend their position more aggressively, i answer in
> same style. But this not means that my point is not constructive
> however.
> Please do not take my comments as personal attack or ranting, i just
> trying to put arguments and discuss why some things i think having
> flaws.

Sure, I knew we will agree on this :) And I think you know that I
appreciate your valued critique. So when I ask, don't use "crap" word,
then I want more/detailed critique, not the metaphors ;)

>> [OT] is the snippet in Slang? then there could be C-compilation-reason
>> for the style.
>>
> Can't parse your last phrase. Please elaborate.

In Slang you wouldn't be able to use metaobjects (your use of #subclasses)
nor dictionaries (as in my example) so one way to express the [small] case
list in Slang is with a list of ifTrue's.

>>> Hmm, what is the purpose of language feature then if it need to be
>>> circumvented?
>>
>> Quick: what's the most circumvented language feature people use when
>> smalltalking ;)
>>
> No idea. Put on desk the aces from you sleeve :)

Will do but, not in this thread and at another time ;)