[squeak-dev] squeak-vm for debian sarge requires newer version of libc6 and libice6

Adrian Schmitt adrianschmitt at googlemail.com
Fri May 9 18:34:40 UTC 2008

Hi,

I was not able to install the squeak-vm on debian sarge.

I found a debian package:

http://ftp.squeak.org/debian/dists/sarge/main/binary-i386/devel/squeak-vm_3.9.8-5_i386.deb

I checked dependencies manually before installing - It turned out
binfmt-support was missing, so I installed it:

$ aptitude install binfmt-support

And then the package:

$ dpkg -i squeak-vm_3.9.8-5_i386.deb
Unpacking squeak-vm (from squeak-vm_3.9.8-5_i386.deb) ...
dpkg: dependency problems prevent configuration of squeak-vm:
 squeak-vm depends on libc6 (>= 2.3.6-6); however:
  Version of libc6 on system is 2.3.2.ds1-22sarge6.
 squeak-vm depends on libice6 (>= 1:1.0.0); however:
  Version of libice6 on system is 4.3.0.dfsg.1-14sarge7.
dpkg: error processing squeak-vm (--install):
 squeak-vm

So libc6 seems too old, 2.3.2 is older than 2.3.6 - and libice6 the
same, although I don't know how 4.3.0.dfsg.1-14sarge7 compares to
1:1.0.0

But my sarge system is updated and upgraded. So it seems the package
depends on libraries that are not sarge standard? Or is my sarge
package system in a defective state? I did my best to keep it
standard.

What could I do? Can someone provide an older package before
squeak-vm_3.9.8-5_i386.deb, so I can try if dependencies are met?

This is a message from Matej Kosik in 2007, who builds packages for debian:

http://lists.squeakfoundation.org/pipermail/squeak-dev/2007-January/112360.html

And another one:

http://lists.squeakfoundation.org/pipermail/squeak-dev/2007-November/122494.html

I also followed the sources.list way described here:

http://wiki.squeak.org/squeak/3616

But I replaced "stable" with "sarge" in sources.list:

deb     http://ftp.squeak.org/debian/ sarge main
deb-src http://ftp.squeak.org/debian/ sarge main

Same result:

$ aptitude install squeak-vm
Reading Package Lists... Done
Building Dependency Tree
Reading extended state information
Initializing package states... Done
Reading task descriptions... Done
E: Unable to correct dependencies, some packages cannot be installed
E: Unable to resolve some dependencies!
Some packages had unmet dependencies.  This may mean that you have
or been moved out of Incoming.

  squeak-vm: Depends: libc6 (>= 2.3.6-6) but 2.3.2.ds1-22sarge6 is installed.
             Depends: libice6 (>= 1:1.0.0) but 4.3.0.dfsg.1-14sarge7
is installed.

(I also asked this before in comp.lang.smalltalk:

http://groups.google.com/group/comp.lang.smalltalk/browse_thread/thread/2e2f89176b3b0419
)

So what could I do?

Thank you