[squeak-dev] Re: talk on Newspeak online

stephane ducasse stephane.ducasse at free.fr
Fri May 9 19:43:04 UTC 2008

> And here I have to disagree again. I have worked on a large and
> successful Smalltalk project, where some such internal machinery was
> developed to add all kinds of semantics to the slots: default values/
> initializers, constraints (types/values), persistence, object-graph
> ownership relations, ... Yes, if you looked, you could see the
> wiring. So what! It worked very well and no language will ever come
> up with all the useful semantics that one may want to add.
> At least Smalltalk lets you do it. Gilad with his pluggable type
> systems should know better

Hi florin

I'm thinking about a nice mop interface that would let people define
such a different slot semantics.
By any chance do you have still in mind how yours were done and how
you specified their semantics
If you have any information on that direction this would be great.
(I'm born in CLOS and its designed mop
is also trying to drag me there... :)

Stef