[squeak-dev] Re: talk on Newspeak online

Klaus D. Witzel klaus.witzel at cobss.com
Sat May 10 05:58:05 UTC 2008

On Fri, 09 May 2008 21:30:45 +0200, Vassili Bykov wrote:

> On Fri, May 9, 2008 at 11:27 AM, Klaus D. Witzel wrote:
>>
>> Do you mean that the following steps are not possible:
>>
>> 1] myPrototype := Behavior new
>> 2] initialize the instVars of myPrototype properly
>> 3] myPrototype class become: myPrototype
>>
>> Why shouldn't that be possible, right from the beginning of
>> Smalltalk-80?
>
> Because in step (3) at the same time as "myPrototype class" becomes
> myPrototype, myPrototype becomes "myPrototype class". ST-80's become:
> swaps identities, not assigns them.

3*] (myPrototype class) become: myPrototype new;
      copyFrom: myPrototype

A prototype together with its first clone; perhaps the closest
approximation in Smalltalk-80.

Anyways, thank you Vassili for your time and patience; discussing
fundamental concepts of language level quality is quite rare here in
squeak-dev ;)

/Klaus

P.S. hurry up, when can we see the first Newspeak release :)