[squeak-dev] Threaded ODBC

Igor Stasenko siguctua at gmail.com
Sat May 10 18:06:22 UTC 2008

2008/5/10 Rob Rothwell <r.j.rothwell at gmail.com>:
> Hello,
>
> I was just wondering if anyone knew what work would be required to provide a
> threaded ODBC connection in Squeak similar to what is available for
> VisualWorks or Smalltalk/X.  The ability to not freeze the VM while running
> a query would be very useful for me, but I don't even know where to start.
>
> Or, is it a bigger issue than just ODBC, something buried deep within the VM
> and/or the FFI?

Someone could make a plugin, which will call ODBC from separate native
thread, without blocking VM thread and blocking only  caller Process.
It can be even me :)

Also see an GSoC OpenDBX project, not taken by anyone, but i seen
someone recently started to code initial bindings to it.
http://wiki.squeak.org/squeak/6036
Who is it? Please raise the hand! :)

--
Best regards,