[squeak-dev] [ANN][Squeak-dev Images] May 2008 versions

Keith Hodges keith_hodges at yahoo.co.uk
Sun May 11 02:28:41 UTC 2008

Rob Rothwell wrote:
> On 5/10/08, *Ken G. Brown* <kbrown at mac.com <mailto:kbrown at mac.com>>
> wrote:
>
>     15 mins to migrate everything from my 3.10dev8.04.1 working image
>     to a fresh dev8.05.1 using my Installer script.
>     This was mostly just waiting for downloads to occur and to answer
>     ok to a few dialogs that pop up for certain changesets.
>
>     This included installing almost everything from
>     http://installer.pbwiki.com (LPF, fixes, packages, etc.), FFI,
>     Balloon3D, VMMaker, restoring several Workspaces to their saved-
>     to-file contents, reloading all my own work from my local
>     Monticello repository, applying a few mantis fixes, loading
>     several other packages from SqueakMap, Universes and SqueakSource
>     and some other changesets from my loacal drive to make generating
>     a VM happy.
>

> Could you post some examples since this worked so well for you?  I
> simply tried:
>
> (HTTPSocket httpGet: 'installer.pbwiki.com/f/LPF.st
> <http://installer.pbwiki.com/f/LPF.st>') readStream fileIn.
>
> in a fresh sq3.10-7159dev08.05.1.image,
>
> Which successfully stated:
>
> "You now have a level playing field."
>
> But when I tried to install FreeTypePlus from the Universe browser, it
> choked just trying to install FFI 3.9.1. <http://3.9.1.>..
>
> I need a recipe!  Or at least a checklist!  Building a Squeak image
> still seems very..."alchemistic" to me...right order, right image,
> right version...
>
> Thanks,
>
> Rob
Currently the Universes version of the FFI package does not load into
LPF images... I hope to have a fix soon. However the Sake/Packages
version of the FFI package definition should load.

#> squeak sq3.10-7159dev08.05.1.image http://installer.pbwiki.com/f/LPF.st

in a workspace:

Installer install: 'Packages'.
Installer sake addPackage: 'FreeTypePlus'; install.

let Andrew Tween know if it doesnt work ;-)

Keith