[squeak-dev] Re: Time for a new DB-Plugin [wa: Threaded ODBC]

Rob Rothwell r.j.rothwell at gmail.com
Mon May 12 10:58:29 UTC 2008

On Mon, May 12, 2008 at 4:33 AM, Klaus D. Witzel <klaus.witzel at cobss.com>
wrote:

> Last night Igor designed the module layer and convinced me that OpenDBX
> can easily be made an external module (mini-driver) once it's available. Our
> project intends to support more than just one such mini-driver, loadable on
> demand. Part of this is Igor's mini-driver API which is all that needs to be
> adapted for making a new external DB module. And Igor insists on our plugin
> to manage multiple native threads and their db sessions; wink, blink ;)

Wow.  Smalltalk.  Move fast...!

Plugin Name: DBPlugin...maybe this should include an OpenDBX reference since
it will be based on it?  OpenDBXPlugin?

Package Name: SqueakDB...good

So, if I understand...the design would work like a "meta-db" service that
would dynamically load new db modules for various databases?  Meaning a
single service would be handling the Squeak transactions and doling them out
to the correct mini-drivers?

And now, without knowing anything about your design, and probably sounding
foolish, could your "transaction manager" be written in Squeak itself,
running headless and passing requests to the appropriate drivers?

Now, unfortunately MS$ is the platform that Rob and Frank want *now* and so
> OpenDBX is, for a loong, loong time, out of reach for us. This is also the
> reason behind our project, the *absence* of MS$ platform support.

This is true!