[squeak-dev] Re: Time for a new DB-Plugin [wa: Threaded ODBC]

Klaus D. Witzel klaus.witzel at cobss.com
Mon May 12 15:45:36 UTC 2008

On Mon, 12 May 2008 14:48:33 +0200, Esteban Lorenzano wrote:

> On 2008-05-12 05:33:21 -0300, "Klaus D. Witzel" said:
>
>> On Mon, 12 May 2008 05:32:26 +0200, Esteban Lorenzano wrote:
>>
>>> Hi all,
>>> Sorry for jumping to this thread so late, but it was weekend and I
>>> was  far from my computer :)
>>> A little team of students and I are developing SqueakDBX... It is
>>> just  the begining, but we hope to provide a realiable DB plugin, who
>>> uses  asyncronic calls for performing the queries (and OpenDBX do
>>> that). This  project was rejected from SoC (the comunity felt that
>>> other projects  were more importat),
>>  Well, we asked GSoC for many more slots for our 20+ registered
>> applications, got one but not six more, and so many projects (among
>> them  yours) could not make it.
>
> He, I wasn't complaining... just mentioning it. Maybe my limitatios in
> english made it looks as a complain, but I far away of that feeling

NP it was just an explanation for what "rejected" means asked by someone
in the audience.

>>> but we kept working on, and now it is listed as a possible SummerTalk
>>> project.
>>  Good news & good to see that you're keen to "sell" your project :)
>>
>>> Currently, the code in www.squeaksource.com/SqueakDBX is just a proof
>>> of  concept and little more, but we are very exited about the
>>> preliminar  results. Of course, OpenDBX currently runs only on *nix
>>> systems (and  OSX, of course), and not windows, but I think it wont be
>>> difficult to  migrate it to windoze... Norbert, the mantainer of
>>> OpenDBX is very  helpful.
>>  The way I see it (and I offered that opinion to Igor in email) is,
>> that  the OpenDBX project doesn't see much value in the MS$ platform.
[...]
>>  We intend to avoid duplication by matching your project with our
>> draft,  and then see what can be re-used or needs to be rewritten
>> + added. Perhaps  your team can jump in with review+feeback, that would
>> be great! :)
>
> Yes, I insist,

Heh! :) Okay, collaboration is always appreciated.

> we can join our efforts, maybe we can collaborate not just testing but
> working on the design/devolopment of squeak side of the plugin.

Some hours ago a consolidated draft was sent to team members, at this
point in time we should feel free from having to consider "prior art" and
I'd appreciate users bring in their priorities from daily (nightly!)
routine (Rob has talked about many of his requirements and expectations in
this thread, Frank has Oracle as priority #1).

> This mini-driver intent to be capable to manage diferent backends such
> as ADO, OpenDBX, etc?

Precisely (well, who said that his mini-driver API adaptation of
msado15.dll will be a piece of cake ;)

> We can drive our design to match that plugin to.

Lots of synergy, yes no doubt.

> Anyway I recoment you take a look at the design of OpenDBX, it is very
> easy and clear, and maybe, at least, a place of inspiration.

Yes, is on the plan after our draft has strong support within the team.
You'll be cc'ed as soon as wiki.squeak.org has the news (presumably not
before S3 in Potsdam this week).

>>  /Klaus
>>
>>> Thanks,
>>> Esteban