[squeak-dev] Unload Traits script (response to edgar)

Trygve Reenskaug trygver at ifi.uio.no
Tue May 13 10:45:19 UTC 2008

IMO, traits are fundamental and essential.

In the new BabyUML programming paradigm, a CLASS defines what an object
IS as seen from its inside and a ROLE defines what an object DOES as
seen from its outside.

It was a major breakthrough when I realized that a role should be coded
as a trait, the trait defining what the object does in the context of a
structure of collaborating, role playing objects.

A role is played by an object at run time. This object can be an
instance of any class that implements its trait. So the trait is tied to
a fundamental abstraction that is on the same level as the class.

I both look forward to and dread my publication of the first Baby IDE.
Will it start a constructive discussion, will it be slaughtered, or will
it be ignored?

With trepidation
--Trygve

Trygve Reenskaug       mailto: trygver at ifi.uio.no

Morgedalsvn. 5A         http://heim.ifi.uio.no/~trygver

N-0378 Oslo               Tel: (+47) 22 49 57 27

Norway