[squeak-dev] Re: [Seaside] REServe and IOSPersistent project

William Harford seaside at harford.org
Wed May 14 02:30:05 UTC 2008

Thomas,

IOPersistent was reimplemented in a much cleaner fashion with
REServe. REServe was eventually ported it PHP, minus it's query
mechanism that implemented the Smalltalk collections protocol, and
was released with Phaux (http://code.google.com/p/phaux/) a Seaside
like framework for PHP. It is likely that all of that software
continues to be used at my last place of employment but sadly no one
appears to be maintaining and/or improving it.

Object to relational mappers are a compromise of two, largely,
incompatible models. The idea behind REServe was to compromise the
object model as little as possible while still maintaining some of
the strengths of relational databases (mainly ad hock queries).
REServe attempts to behave like an object database, root object,
access by reference (simulated), automatic table creation, table
migration, polymorphic data storage, etc... It also attempted to hide
the database as much as possible.

As far was why "automated mapping" from the perspective of the
objects defining how they are stored, the tables being created,
migrated, and maintained from the object definitions, is not a more
popular approach I don't know. It could be that it demands to much
rigidity in the way tables are designed and laid out. Or that it does
not fit well into an existing database design. It might very well be
that people are used to creating tables, are comfortable with the
relational model, like SQL, and think the flexibility that custom
designed tables out weights the maintenance difficulty.

All of the open source projects and libraries I have done continue to
excite me and spark my creativity. I encourage you to play with them
and I hope it sparks some ideas in you.

Happy Hacking,
Will