[squeak-dev] Re: Unload Traits script (response to edgar)

Ryan Mitchley ryan.mitchley at gmail.com
Wed May 14 15:55:43 UTC 2008

I need to be convinced otherwise, but it seems that traits are a form of
multiple inheritance that looks good on the surface, but turns out to be
ill-conceived and inferior to other design methods.

Among collaborating agents, one is only concerned that a given agent
provides set of necessary/desirable methods or behaviours. This may be fully
provided, especially in a highly reflective language, as meta-information
about an instance's methods. This could be a method in itself. i.e. an
instance's traits are dynamically calculated as meta-information about its
methods. There is no need to make this a first-class, inheritance type
abstraction.

However, the set of an instance's methods in a single-inheritance language
is basically a function of its class, which leaves me wondering why this is
at all necessary.