[squeak-dev] [ANN] Public discuss about 'rules' of 3.10 and his possible branches

Edgar J. De Cleene edgardec2001 at yahoo.com.ar
Thu May 15 13:10:20 UTC 2008

To all:

At the moment I'm doing 3.10.1 , my decision is going back to old trusted
.cs policy for have updates as fast we could have.

Now , Matthew and Keith come with outstanding technology ( Congratulations !
BRAVO!) , I have #unloadTraits and a Squeak3.10-7164-WT-basic.image for
daily work , so I know if any wrong could come.

I joining to #IRC with this and I was working on my game SlidesStones.pr
also in this image.
The .pr until now could be saved and loaded into old dirty
Squeak3.9b-7051.image I have and also into FunSqueak.
All this could give me info about tons of troubles in advance.

The complete test was run as we do on Mac, Windows XP, Simply Linux 6.5.
Same results as regular release.

By now, I left Traits until Board give us his final decision.

We could have a 3.10.2 version 'regular' , and a SqueakWT.3.10.2 or Squeak
3.10.2-WT or appropriate name picked for a NO Traits version.

So we could have two branches and all could be happy or maybe not.

>From the five meeting all we doing on web and Matthew was hosting and
documenting.

We need DS or MC2

Both "teams" say in turn need SystemEditor.

My suggestion to Randall and Ken is we need rebuild 3.10 from where 3.9 was.
I need first hand experience for troubles.
It's my decision take MC2 as I meet with Colin in person and as he
understand enough Spanish seems me a sure bet.

Anybody don't trust Colin ?

We need improve the 3.10 for the record of changes , too mumbo jumbo.
Lots of people is buying excellent book of Stephanne and unloading 3.9

At some point this people realize they should upgrade.
The current way of updates (the button on the Squeak flap ) is rough, not
always could work, need more as newbie knowledge, using our actual updates.

That's is why I say we should have a complete rebuild.
I say I put 3.10.2 and 3.10.2WT on the Board table at time ESUG begins.
3.10.2 is 3.10 rebuilded and Traits
3.10.2-WT means WITHOUT TRAITS

So I ask for feedback .
And no more F1 , no jokes, strict to business.
Ustedes se lo pierden :=)

Edgar

Edgar