[squeak-dev] Redoing 3.10: License cleaning

Matthew Fulmer tapplek at gmail.com
Thu May 15 16:29:39 UTC 2008

On Thu, May 15, 2008 at 10:10:20AM -0300, Edgar J. De Cleene wrote:
> My suggestion to Randall and Ken is we need rebuild 3.10 from where 3.9 was.
> I need first hand experience for troubles.
> It's my decision take MC2 as I meet with Colin in person and as he
> understand enough Spanish seems me a sure bet.
>
> Anybody don't trust Colin ?
>
> We need improve the 3.10 for the record of changes , too mumbo jumbo.
> Lots of people is buying excellent book of Stephanne and unloading 3.9
>
> At some point this people realize they should upgrade.
> The current way of updates (the button on the Squeak flap ) is rough, not
> always could work, need more as newbie knowledge, using our actual updates.
>
> That's is why I say we should have a complete rebuild.

There is another very good reason for redoing 3.10: all
contributions to 3.10 were made after the effective date of the
license agreements (November 2006), so, unless the authors of
the 3.10 contributions made an explicit statement about the
license of their contributions, all the 3.10 contributions are
license-unclean.

For 3.11, the board has asked the release team to not accept any
contributions without an explicit license of MIT. For 3.10, we
should retroactively enforce this policy as well.

For more information, see my license pages:
- http://installer.pbwiki.org/Squeak40
  - Top page
- http://installer.pbwiki.org/LicenseAuditing
  - A breakdown of what is and is not license-clean