[squeak-dev] Re: [Etoys] squeak image sometimes takes very long to be responsive after XO suspend

Yoshiki Ohshima yoshiki at vpri.org
Sun May 18 03:33:07 UTC 2008

> Basically when coming out of suspend, the Squeak process takes up lots
> of cpu power and can be unresponsive for about a minute on build 703
> (other builds not yet tested).

  Hmm.  Interestingly, windows VM has similar problem.  If you suspend
Windows with Squeak running, resuming takes long time, and you have to
"send" a lot of user events by moving mouse a lot.

> Also we loose sound. Which sometimes comes back after a while. Either
> on it's own or perhaps because another application is opened. This
> could be a coincidence though.

  This is bad, too.  I wonder a button that calls:

  SoundPlayer shutDown.
  SoundPlayer startUp.

and press it when the symptom occurs resets it or not.

> Especially the unresponsiveness is a problem, because it messes up the
> classes. Typically a teacher will explain a concept after which the
> students will do an activity for a short while. After which they will
> close the XO again to go on with the rest of the course. The XO's
> can't stay open because they are to distractive and because they eat
> battery power, and perhaps take up to much space (the benches these
> children work at are tiny). Having to either wait for the activity, or
> restart the image (or XO, whatever the child feels comfortable with)
> kills the flow, and the children get very impatient.

  This should be fixed, yes.  We should try strace'ing Tomeu
suggested, and possibly we even should investigated the situation on
Windows.

  Thank you for reporting.

-- Yoshiki