[squeak-dev] Re: [Pkg] FreeTypePlus

Edgar J. De Cleene edgardec2001 at yahoo.com.ar
Sun May 18 09:57:16 UTC 2008

El 5/18/08 5:23 AM, "Andrew Tween" <amtween at hotmail.com> escribió:

> "Keith Hodges" <keith_hodges at yahoo.co.uk> wrote in message
> news:482F997D.2000401 at yahoo.co.uk...
>> Welcome to packages!
>>
>> Rob Rothwell wrote:
>>> It seems that FreeTypePlus has disappeared from PackagesSqueak39?
>> I had a check through the history of PackagesSqueak39, and I can't see
>> FreeTypePlus in the history.
>>> If I try to load it into a level playing field-ed
>>> sq3.9.1-7075dev08.05.2.image:
>>>
>>> (HTTPSocket httpGet: 'installer.pbwiki.com/f/LPF.st
>>> <http://installer.pbwiki.com/f/LPF.st>') readStream fileIn.
>>> Installer install: 'Packages'.
>>> Installer sake addPackage: 'FreeTypePlus'; install.
>> That's the right loading code... so we need to see where Andrew did put
>> the package definition.
>>
>> To see all definitions in all versions load:
>>
>> Installer install: 'PackagesAllVersions'.
>>
>> We find that it is available in PackagesSqueak310U as the universes
>> definition, but Andrew put an improved specific version into
>> PackagesSqueak310.
>
> No I didn't.
> I put it into a new class, PackagesSqueak310dev0804
> Because it is NOT for 3.10 , it is ONLY for developer Squeak
> sq3.10-7159dev08.04.1
>
> It might work with other images, but it might not.
> It might work with future releases of developer Squeak, but it might not.
>
> It solves the specific problem of - "FreeType Plus won't load into
> sq3.10-7159dev08.04.1
> because MC1.5 doesn't run postscripts, initializes classes in a different
> order, and fails to load FFI" .
>
> I anticipate that that problem will be solved with future versions of MC1.5
> and/or FFI and/or FreeType Plus, at which point my script will only be of
> historical interest.
>
> I think something is missing here.
> How can the appropriate installer be found for a specific version, of a
> particular fork/distribution, that is itself based upon some core Squeak
> image?
> e.g.  sq3.10-7159dev08.04.1 is based upon  sq3.10-7159 .
> There are multiple version identifiers here...
>     distributionName=DeveloperSqueak
>     distributionVersion=08.04.01
>     coreImageName=Squeak
>     coreImageVersion=3.10
>     coreImageBuild=7159
>     coreImageReleaseStatus=beta
>
> In the future, as the core image shrinks, I can imagine someone creating a
> distribution based on another distribution based on some fork and so on.
> So there would be a chain of version identifiers, e.g. ...
>
>     MyApplication.2.0.1alpha <- SpecialFork.1.0beta <-
> DeveloperSqueak08.04.01 <- sq3.10-7159
>
> If this version chain was embedded in each image, could Installer use it to
> find the most appropriate install script for each package?
>

>> So... we copy the definition to PackagesSqueak39, with its dependents,
>> FFI, and "FreeType Plusplugins".
>>
>> Then we can check to see if Andrew has any more recent versions... in
>> www.squeaksource.com/FreeTypePlus

> [...]

And is why I against Installer and other scripting things which IMHO is like
GOTO or modern Pandora box.

Some was scared for me trying to show we could have four branches of images

SqueakFoo - basic . Meaning bussiness as usual.
SqueakFooWT Meaning image witout traits
SqueakFooMC2 Meaning image developed with MC2 (My personal pick)
SqueakFooDS Meaning image developed with DS

Andrew  here show we could have a Big Bang effect of countless variations
and only few experts could know how to survive in this scenario.

The way to the heaven is hard and full of troubles.
The way to the hell is always the easier one.

Edgar