[squeak-dev] Web Services and Interoperability with other languages

Martin Marquez martin at zauber.com.ar
Tue May 20 14:37:44 UTC 2008

Hi German:

Thank you very much for the comments, I agree tha Smalltalk is much more
than a language, I'm just not too used to it yet.

Our problem is mainly that our application need to share a lot of data
with the outside world, so we need to implement in Squeak some stuff
(and we are not so sure of the feasibility):

- LDAP Interface
- Webservices SOAP (consume and provide)
- REST and JSON API

Any help would be very usefull

Regards

Germán Arduino wrote:
> Hi Martin:
>
> Welcome to Squeak world!
>
> 2008/5/16 Martin Marquez <martin at zauber.com.ar
> <mailto:martin at zauber.com.ar>>:
>
>     Hello,
>
>     Even when I've been playing with smalltalk since long ago, this is
>     the first time I try to do something really productive with the
>     language.
>

> Some squeak/smalltalk developers (as myself) like to say "Smalltalk
> isn't just a language, is a lot more." (Not a phrase strictly from me,
> but like it and agree).
>

>     The idea is to do a Scrum Application with an UI in XUL but the
>     main problem we are having right know is to get a way to
>     communicate this application with the rest of our infraestructure
>     and other applications.
>
>     Basically we need a way to expose and consume some kind of Service
>     (Soap Web Services, REST, JSON) or have a good interoperability
>     with other language such as Java in order to create this ones (We
>     have vast experience in Java, some experience in Python and Ruby
>     among others).
>
>     We've been trying to use SoapOpera but we don't find any way to
>     generate a WSDL and the JSON project doesn't seem very active.
>

> I don't know much about interoperability with Java, but I remember a
> package named Java Serialization, may be help to you.
>
> With respect to JSON, is in use on SWT (http://ceibo.wordpress.com/)
> and seems to work ok.
>

>     Thanks in advance for any help.
>
>     --
>     Martín A. Márquez
>     Zauber S.A.
>     http://www.zauber.com.ar
>     C. 15-4060-2966
>

> Not much help, but at least some comments :)
>
> Cheers.
>
> --
> Germán S. Arduino
> http://www.arsol.biz