[squeak-dev] Web Services and Interoperability with other languages

Germán Arduino garduino at gmail.com
Tue May 20 18:11:16 UTC 2008

Hi Martín:

2008/5/20 Martin Marquez <martin at zauber.com.ar>:
> Hi German:
>
> Thank you very much for the comments,

No problem.

> I agree tha Smalltalk is much more
> than a language, I'm just not too used to it yet.

I'm sure more you use Smalltalk, more you will love it.

> Our problem is mainly that our application need to share a lot of data with
> the outside world, so we need to implement in Squeak some stuff (and we are
> not so sure of the feasibility):

Well, I try to comment generalities of the things I remember are
availables, but, also others may be developed :)

> - LDAP Interface

I used in the past LDAPlayer to do somethings against Active
Directory. Worked ok, and the minimal problems arised were solved by
Ragnar (The author). Is available on SqueakMap

> - Webservices SOAP (consume and provide)

In addition of the package pointed you can find some examples on SqueakSource.

> - REST and JSON API

About REST:

You can check:
RESTful Web Services: http://www.squeaksource.com/RWS.html

And also a lot of talks on Seaside list which is searchable from:
http://news.gmane.org/gmane.comp.lang.smalltalk.squeak.seaside/cutoff=1228

And JSON on SqueakMap and examples of use on SWT and friends on SqueakSource.

> Any help would be very usefull

Don't know if the data I posted is very useful, but at least a starting point.

> Regards

Cheers.
Germán.