[squeak-dev] license related changes on Mantis server

tim Rowledge tim at rowledge.org
Wed May 21 00:25:01 UTC 2008

On 20-May-08, at 1:23 PM, Ken Causey wrote:

> First we need to define 'main page'.  This actually is determined by
> whether you are logged in or not and what project you were last
> looking
> at.  Were you thinking of the page that currently has the notice
> regarding adding the report number to the filename of any attachments?
> This page is specific to the Squeak project.  I can easily add a
> notice
> to this page and in fact I think it is appropriate that it be on this
> page which will only be seen if Squeak is the selected project.  I
> think
> any notice, if any, we put on the Squeak Packages project will need to
> be different.

Sounds sensible to me; I was indeed thinking of the page you mention
and I agree that different rules may well apply to core and packages.

> Should I just write up my own notice or would you like to provide
> specific text?

Hmm, I guess we should discuss this at tomorrow's board meeting and
let you know. Suggestions from the wider community are welcome of
course.

I'll start the ball rolling with "Hey You! Read this NOW. Any code
submitted to this Mantis system as a fix or suggested fix for the
Squeak core system must be offered under the terms of the MIT license
<-link. Code entered here in the Description, Additional Information
or Notes, or uploaded as a file, is assumed to be so licensed"

>> On the 'Report Issue' page I suggest that we have a repeat of the
>> main
>> page note.
>
> Where do you see a note going on the report page?
If it's possible, right near the top - around where it says 'Enter
Report Details'. In letters of eldrich fire that burn into your
retinas. In a non-violent, harmless, non-judgemental manner, of course.

>> If possible some sort of pop-up notification when uploading a file (a
>> fairly typical action when submitting a proposed solution) might be
>> sensible.
>
> When would such a pop-up notification be triggered?  On hitting the
> 'Upload File' button?
Yes. It may be going Too Far(tm) but at least we should consider it as
an option.

> I would suggest having a short form of the notice on all pages
> either in
> the footer or perhaps header which is consistently displayed on all
> pages.
Excellent idea. Maybe a really short form like "You need to be aware
of the licensing rules for this project" with a link built in.

> Note that we could probably hash this out much quicker on IRC or a
> Skype
> chat.
Probably true. We may try to add you to the board meeting skype
tomorrow if that is ok.

tim
Strange OpCodes: L: Lie!