[squeak-dev] Re: Smalltalk images considered harmful

Andreas Raab andreas.raab at gmx.de
Wed May 21 21:52:33 UTC 2008

My response would be to point out that an image is an executable that
runs on top of a Squeak VM. Just like Java, where .java files get
compiled into .class files and packaged into .jar files; just like any
OS where .c files get compiled and packaged into ELF binaries; just like
Python where .py files get compiled into .pyc files and packaged in zip
files; Squeak compiles .st or .cs files and packages them into an image
file.

It is *not* correct to say that a Squeak image cannot be compiled from
source code. We do this all the time. It is correct that it is difficult
to compile it *entirely* from source code but this is just as true for
other executable files (the ELF headers are not generated from source
code either!).

If the amount to which a system can be recreated from source code is a
concern to the Debian people I think we can work this out (though maybe
not immediately). But I'd be more than a little puzzled if they'd be
making such artificial distinctions.

Cheers,
   - Andreas