[squeak-dev] Smalltalk images considered harmful

K. K. Subramaniam subbukk at gmail.com
Thu May 22 10:47:25 UTC 2008

On Thursday 22 May 2008 1:15:35 pm Igor Stasenko wrote:
> 2008/5/22 K. K. Subramaniam <subbukk at gmail.com>:
> > On Thursday 22 May 2008 4:28:29 am Jecel Assumpcao Jr wrote:
> >> Our sources are the .image files. It isn't what people are used to, but
> >> that doesn't make it less true.
> >
> > From the tone of the email, it looks as if Debian maintainer is just
> > trying to understand images and figure out how to handle images in their
> > current version control process.
>
> Well, from that point, i think we should make it clear , that version
> control of squeak images are totally on under squeak community control
> (release team(s), to be precise). If they find this inappropriate,
> then we have no other choice but not include images in distro and let
> users download them by own.
Debian does not dictate upstream versions. Their team builds programs from
sources on more than 40 platforms and need to make sure that these versions
are in sync, so that Squeak 3.10 means Squeak 3.10 on all their platforms.
Since image is not a text file, they must be curious about how to 'build' it
on different platforms in a consistent way. You could make out a case that
images, like font files, don't contain any machine-specific or platform
specific instructions and therefore need not be compiled across different
architectures.

If (When?) Squeak image is accepted by Debian, then we can expect to read
active essays from small 50MB distros or Live CDs.

Subbu