[squeak-dev] Smalltalk images considered harmful

Norbert Hartl norbert at hartl.name
Thu May 22 16:44:50 UTC 2008

On Thu, 2008-05-22 at 15:17 +0200, Bert Freudenberg wrote:
> Yeah, what a bummer. Thank you so much, José, for starting it anyway.
>
> I think the problem with Thomas of the Debian team is not that he does
> not understand what an image is (José and I explained in e-mail, and I
> also had a chat with him). But the huge monolithic image does not fit
> well with the regular package maintenance procedure. Given a new
> image, how can one be sure what's in it, and what changed? It's all
> based on trust, with little verification.

Verification can be done by keeping one image and distribute MD5 sums
for image and source.

What channel of debian we are heading? main? Maybe that is a goal that
is not achievable at the moment. What about contrib? Or even non-free?

I have a package installed that is called flashplugin-nonfree. When you
install it it downloads an archive from adobe and installs a binary to
your system. You can hardly have less trust.

Anywhere in between squeak has its place.

Norbert