[squeak-dev] Smalltalk images considered harmful

José Luis Redrejo jredrejo at gmail.com
Fri May 23 06:48:38 UTC 2008

2008/5/22 Stephen Pair <stephen at pairhome.net>:

> 30+ posts on this topic with some suggestions of significant work to
> satisfy the Debian gate keepers.  Is Debian inclusion really this
> important?  Don't get me wrong, I think inclusion would be great, but this
> thread does make me wonder what benefits would really come of it.

As a beginning it would be inmediatly included in Debian Edu, so next
upgrade of this flavour of Debian would add etoys to several thousand of
student desktops. Also, it would be included with the olpc packages in
Debian. So, in the short time you would see Squeak in many more places than
today. In the medium term, new Squeak images could be added to the Debian
repositories, including some interactive books made in Spain to study maths.
In the long term I don't know...

About the many things that have been read in this thread, I'd classify them
in two types:
a) Those that criticize or comment the way Squeak is done and point to use a
different way of building the images
b) Those that criticize or comment the Debian arguments.

I'm only interested in b) as, speaking of today, I'd like to include the
etoys image in Debian, not any other image. There are two reasons for it:
the main reason is that VPRI warranties the license of the etoys image, and
that does not happen with other images (as far as I know). The other reason
is that I'm more focused in the educative side of Squeak.

Don't misunderstand me: answers of type a) are really interesting, but do
not help for today's purpose.
Regards.
José L.