[squeak-dev] Smalltalk images considered harmful

Norbert Hartl norbert at hartl.name
Fri May 23 09:39:02 UTC 2008

On Thu, 2008-05-22 at 11:03 -0700, Ross Boylan wrote:
> On Thu, 2008-05-22 at 14:42 +0200, Norbert Hartl wrote:
> > Even if squeak could cope well with all sorts of dependency and
> > conflicts management it wouldn't change much. Debian is an operating
> > system and they are looking for an operating-system-way to do all
> > these things.
> Debian is a distribution that includes operating systems (primarily
> Linux, but at various times BSD and Hurd) and a lot of other software.

Of course, debian is a distribution system for software. But for me it
is an operating system, too. The name is DebianLinux but you can savely
omit the Linux and everybody knows what you mean :)

To be correct (I think you wanted to be) none of your examples is an
operating system. Linux and Hurd are kernels and BSD is an operating
system family.

Norbert