[squeak-dev] Squeak Forums

Randal L. Schwartz merlyn at stonehenge.com
Mon May 26 14:21:38 UTC 2008

>>>>> "Giuseppe" == Giuseppe Luigi Punzi <glpunzi at lordzealon.com> writes:

Giuseppe> Other advantage is for newbies. Newbies every day is more younger,
Giuseppe> and youngers, is more familiarized with forums rather than
Giuseppe> maillists. And, the use of a maillist could be a disadvantage for
Giuseppe> somebody new searching for support.

I've been in discussion with various parties about the possibility
of a "Perlmonks"-type site for Squeak, or perhaps Smalltalk in general.

As much fun as you might make of the whole idea of "experience points" given
for voting on good answers, and on being the one to post good answers, it has
resulted in a website where you have a few dozen people checking the site
minute-by-minute, wanting to be that first correct answer so that they get
voted on by the other people to raise their status.  Yes, it's meaningless,
but it has become a powerful tool in the Perl community.  It turns most
people's natural competition into contribution for all.

It would probably be under few man-months of effort to roll out a basic
Smalltalkmonk site using Seaside and perhaps GemStone/S to back it.

Yes, I personally prefer email, although I prefer email backed by NNTP so that
I can automatically have a back-catalog of postings.  (Thank you,
lists.perl.org for being a central hub!)  But a well-designed web forum with
perlmonks-style voting might be an interesting "watering hole" to get
Google-ranked Smalltalk info out there in the modern world.