[squeak-dev] Squeak and i18n

muyuubyou muyuubyou at gmail.com
Tue May 27 16:27:34 UTC 2008

Thank you Bert for your reply.

I've been looking at the link you posted
https://dev.laptop.org/translate/projects/etoys/

The PO format from GNU gettext is fine, but in the etoys repositories they
are not using context fields, only comments and sparsely (I've checked
French, Spanish, Japanese and Russian).

I have some questions, maybe someone in the list can reply.

- Are there no placeholders/identifiers? no contexts? for a big project like
this is looks like the context information is insufficient. You can very
possibly have the same string translated in different ways depending on the
context and the reverse is also true (not so much in German which tends to
be very specific :) ). Well, this method of doing it with online
contributions and no contexts would be very good for an application with a
few pop-up menus etc, but I think it will be very difficult to keep this
well managed and up to professional standards using only this information.
I've downloaded a few PO files, I might be missing something.

- Is there some way to separate etoys from just the base image (and
separated packages)? The amount of languages makes it very difficult to
maintain huge monolithic tables like those, in a 1-per-language basis.

- Is there an automatic way to extract/inject those translations from an
image and see the results? looks like the OLPC people are doing it their own
way and manually (possibly compiling the whole thing?), which is fine for
them I guess :) but in order to have it updated and well supported in squeak
base image it has to be streamlined. I think this is very, very important
for the future of Squeak. Even more so if we make it to main repositories
from the likes of Debian, Fedora or Ubuntu.

In short, I was looking for a way to translate the base image in a
centralized manner, with scripts to obtain immediate results.