[squeak-dev] Bogus Class Category in 3.10.1-7175 - Mantis #7070

Ken Causey ken at kencausey.com
Wed May 28 15:59:14 UTC 2008

Note that in the released 3.10.1-7175 you will find a category called
#Morphic-CandidatesForGo.  Do NOT click any of the classes listed in
that category as they are not really there but removed in 3.10-7159.
The result is an annoying, seemingly unstoppable, series of debug
prompts.  I made a mistake when building 3.10.1-7175, you can look at

http://bugs.squeak.org/view.php?id=7070

For more of the gorey details.

My point with this email, other than to apologize, is to ask what I
should do.  First note that this issue is related to my pre-release
cleanup and is not due to any changeset in the update stream.  Take a
3.10-7159 and update it to 3.10.1-7175 and you will not have this
problem.

The first solution might be to simply build a replacement
3.10.1-7175-basic.zip without the problem and replace the copy on the
FTP site.  However I don't think that would be a good idea.  Having
spent a lot of time over the years helping users with issues I know how
confusing it can be to try to replicate an issue and one of the keys is
being able to start with the same image.  Imagine a user has downloaded
my faulty release and is experiencing this problem and is confused.
Imagine also a helpful person who wants to assist them with this
problem.  The helper finds out they are using 3.10.1-7175 and downloads
it from the FTP site.  Unfortunately this helper has not heard of this
issue and tries the newer 3.10.1-7175 image and is unable to replicate
the problem.  Substitute appropriately modified "Who's on First"
variant; hilarity ensues at least if you are not a participant.

So, I started a Known Issues list at

http://ftp.squeak.org/3.10/KNOWNISSUES

that prominently features this issue.  I would like to provide a
workaround of some kind there and I would appreciate any insights into a
code snippet to address this issue in 3.10.1-7175 that I can provide as
a workaround.

Otherwise the only other solution I can think of is to yet again start
on a quick fix release and call it 3.10.2.  Thoughts?

I apologize for this mistake, I can only hope (unrealistically) that was
my only one.  Clearly having someone jump into a release branch as I
have done here, without the proper knowledge, has consequences.

Ken