[squeak-dev] Creating/using MIDI ports with external device, how to start?

squeak414 at free.fr squeak414 at free.fr
Fri May 30 11:01:25 UTC 2008

Quoting John Richards <ajtr at us.ibm.com>:

> I'm trying to open a midi port to receive incoming midi commands and am
> completely stuck (after a week of trying everything I can think of).  I've
> confirmed that the MIDIPlugin is loaded.  I've tried on both Windows XP
> and MacOS.  The only port I have available is this:
>
> MIDI Ports:
>         0: QuickTime MIDI (out)
>

> John

Hi John,

I am not an expert in this area, but I did get MIDI-in working on Windows. I
think you'll need a physical MIDI input device, e.g. if you can borrow a USB
(piano) keyboard, or something like a MIDISport box. Squeak just sees what the
system sees. I don't believe you'll be able to automagically conjure up a port.

If you evaluate SimpleMIDIPort midiIsSupported, you should get true on Windows,
and false on OSX and Linux. So you'll only be able to do MIDI-in on Windows, for
the moment.

Craig Latta was planning to port to these OSs- see this thread:
http://www.nabble.com/MIDI-support-td13476203.html#a15745241

Craig, any news?

Cheers,    ...Stan