[squeak-dev] Gumstix and Squeak

Norbert Hartl norbert at hartl.name
Tue Nov 4 23:03:32 UTC 2008

On Tue, 2008-11-04 at 13:09 -0800, Brad Fuller wrote:
> I think Dave Hylands has placed Squeak 3.6 on a gumstix (BTW, Dave,
> which motherboad?)  Has anyone else experimented with squeak on the
> gumstix lately, maybe with the latest 3.10 and the latest VM?  Dave:
> your notes online mentions using buildroot and not OE. Anyone run
> squeak on OE (gumstix or other platform)?
>
> If you've done work on the gumstix and squeak, or OE and squeak, what
> has been your experience? I have a 600MHz verdex board that I"m
> looking into porting squeak to, but I'd like to not reinvent the
> wheel, and would love to hear your trials, errors and successes.

I didn't do much work with squeak and OE. But a friend of mine ported
for me the squeak vm to openmoko. I did some tries with a pharo image
on the device and was impressed that even Morphic is fast enough to
be used on the device. The build file in openmoko should be migrate
into the main OE tree and should available there sooner or later.

hope this helps,

Norbert