[squeak-dev] Anyone have any processors in Smalltalk or a formal semantics?

Jecel Assumpcao Jr jecel at merlintec.com
Sun Nov 9 18:24:20 UTC 2008

Stephane Ducasse wrote:
> On Nov 5, 2008, at 11:43 PM, Jecel Assumpcao Jr wrote:
> > I have a simulator for the 16 bit stack processor in Squeak, but I
> > don't
> > think it would be very interesting for you.
>
> Where did you publish it?

http://www.merlintec.com/download/Neo.st

and a short description at

http://www.merlintec.com:8080/Hardware/Oliver

There are several issues that make this unlikely to be useful to
anybody, which is why I didn't publish on SqueakSource or something like
that:

- there are bugs in the hash code for the cache. I was fixing them when
this project got interrupted for another but it would be better to
rewrite it (too many magic constants and deeply nested expressions) and
document it properly.

- there is no GUI (though you can get a simulation of the screen of the
truck terminal hardware) and I was using inspectors instead.

- while simple programs run ok (even with the cache bug!) there are
several memory tables that would have to be initilized and exception
handling routines that would need to be written before real applications
(by that I mean a Neo Smalltalk system) could be simulated. Note that I
was writting the test programs directly in hex even though an assembler
would be trivial to write.

-- Jecel