[squeak-dev] [ANN] Monticello 1.5 bugs fixed

Keith Hodges keith_hodges at yahoo.co.uk
Mon Nov 10 16:01:21 UTC 2008

Jason Johnson wrote:
> On Sun, Nov 9, 2008 at 8:06 PM, Colin Putney <cputney at wiresong.ca> wrote:
>
>> On 9-Nov-08, at 7:47 AM, Jason Johnson wrote:
>>

>>> How close is MC 2?
>>>
>> MC2 is here. The current release is 2.0.29. Download it from:
>>

> Yea, I knew it had been released.  I meant more in the sense of how
> close to being the main revision system (which you also answered).
>
> Thanks,
> Jason

MC1 and MC2 are different animals. MC2 offers the potential of a
different workflow, and more flexibility. This means that much of the
process for using MC2, and the tools to support the process is still
being worked upon.

However MC1.5 is intended to be the culmination, the zenith, of all
things MC1, with bugs ironed out, supporting all of the exisitng mcz
files out there, in all of the images that the community uses, to the
best of its ability. As a further step, MC1.6 adds Atomic loading, a
feature which will follow in MC2 fairly shortly afterwards.

FYI: PackageInfo used by MC1.5 is 6-8x faster than in MC1 and the loader
in MC1.6 is 3x faster than the loader in MC1.5.

So MC2 is a replacement for MC1 as and when your process is requires it.
MC1.5/6 will hang around in the background as the good old reliable
workhorse for everyone else.

best regards

Keith

p.s. The goal for MC1.7 if it happens will include binary (instant?)